Dr. Colleen Murphy
Professor of Law
Professor of Philosophy
Faculty Affiliate of Center for African Studies
Faculty Affiliate of Beckman Institute
Director of Women and Gender in Global Perspectives
Professor of Political Science
Colleen Murphy is a Professor in the College of Law and the Departments of Philosophy and Political Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Director of the Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program in International Programs and Studies, and Affiliate Faculty of the Beckman Institute. Prior to joining the Illinois faculty, Dr. Murphy was an Associate Professor of Philosophy at Texas A&M University. During 2010-2011, she was a Laurence S. Rockefeller Visiting Faculty Fellow at the University Center for Human Values at Princeton University. Professor Murphy holds a M.A. and Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a bachelor of arts from the University of Notre Dame. She is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Moral Philosophy. Professor Murphy is also a member of the American Philosophical Association’s Committee on Philosophy and Law and the Chair of the Program Committee for the 2018 APA Central Division Meeting. Professor Murphy’s research has received financial support from the National Science Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Qatar National Research Fund.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Philosophy of Law, Political Philosophy, Risk, Engineering Ethics
- The Conceptual Foundations of Transitional Justice. . New York: Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- A Moral Theory of Political Reconciliation. . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- "Jus Post Bellum and Political Reconciliation." Jus Post Bellum and Transitional Justice. . New York: Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Murphy, Colleen. "Political Reconciliation, Punishment and Grudge Informers." In the Wake of Conflict: Justice, Responsibility and Reconciliation. . New York: Springer, 2013.
- "Design, Risk, and Capabilities." Human Capabilities, Technology, and Design. . Springer, 2012.
- "The Capability Approach in Risk Analysis." Handbook on Risk Theory. . Springer, 2011.
- "Political Reconciliation and International Criminal Trials." International Criminal Law and Philosophy. . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Risk Analysis of Natural Hazards . . Springer, 2015.
- Engineering Ethics for a Globalized World. . Springer, 2015.
- "Reliability-based Capability Approach: A System Reliability Formulation for the Capability Approach." Risk Analysis (2017):
- "Reconciliation." Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2015):
- "Differentiating Moral Duties: a Response to ‘Valuing Foreign Lives'." University of Illinois Law Review Slip Opinions 2015.1 (2015):
- "A Scale of Risk." Risk Analysis 34.7 (2014):
- "A Reply to Critics." Criminal Law and Philosophy DOI 10.1007/s11572-014-9295-4 (2014):
- "Classification and Moral Evaluation of Uncertainties in Engineering Modeling." Science and Engineering Ethics 17.3 (2011):
- "Evaluating the Source of the Risks Associated with Natural Events." Res Publica 2 (2011):
- "Assessing Capability Instead of Achieved Functionings in Risk Analysis." Journal of Risk Research 13.2 (2010):
- Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Law, Engineering Ethics